Sunday 10 January 2016

Learner strategies

I chose Use dictionaries to find out as much as you can about the word. I think the dictionary gives more information about the word than we can guess from the context/sentence(meaning, forms, example sentences, synonyms, antonyms, set expressions, phrasal verbs), so you can surely find a thing that catches your attention and awakens some associations, thus you(well, me) remember better and get deeper knowledge. That's how it is right now.
I also like the idea of keeping a vocabulary notebook, but it is not really working with me now. I guess that's because nobody checks my knowledge and I don't use those new words. Once I tried that thing with my students - I asked them to learn words, but didn't check that. They almost stopped learning. The thing is that we learn what we need to use. The books we use consist of lessons filled with groups of words that appear just once through the hole course: e.g. - the word chest of drawers, presented in the 4th form, is never met again till the graduation from the high school. The question is - Will students remember and use that word? - No.
Frankly speaking, all the strategies, presented in the poll, are worth trying. And each of them can be the best for a particular learner - auditory learners will surely like reading aloud(pronouncing), visuals - writing activities, kinaesthetics - testing themselves and travelling with the notebooks.
Speaking about me personally, I first use a dictionary, then read a whole text aloud. Sometimes I do this a couple of times, if I feel there is no flow of speech. Pronouncing involves listening and speaking at the same time, so it's like double-shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment